Let’s talk coffee….do you have your morning cup with you? You may want to finish it before continuing to read…
Firstly, a few of the health benefits of coffee other than the main reason we all drink it (energy, duh):
- Coffee contains massive amounts of antioxidants (actually, most people who consume the traditional “American Diet” get more antioxidants from coffee than fruits and veggies combined….)
- Why do we care about antioxidants?????
- Our bodies are under constant attack by reactive molecules called “free radicals” (from pollution and chemicals, mostly).
- These molecules have unpaired electrons that can damage important cell structures like proteins and DNA.
- This is where antioxidants step in. They donate electrons to the free radicals, effectively disarming them.
- This is believed to be protective against aging and many diseases that are partly caused by oxidative stress, including cancer
- Coffee is good for the liver
- Coffee contains the antibacterial compound trigonelline, which may help reduce dental cavities
- Research is drawing a strong correlation between coffee and the prevention of Parkinson’s disease.
- Coffee contains several important nutrients, including Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Manganese, Potassium, Magnesium and Niacin (okay, in relatively small amounts…but we’re Pro-Coffee here!)
Alright, you get the point, coffee is GOOOOD and good for you. But here’s the catch…
Most people aren’t drinking the RIGHT coffee.
The quality of your coffee should be a major priority and here’s why:
- Coffee has some of the highest levels of pesticides of any food (if not organically grown).
- Pesticides have been linked to endocrine disorders, cancers, and neurological disorders
- And because many coffees are imported, the USDA has limited control over the types and amounts of pesticides used…ew.
Choosing ORGANIC coffee is a no-brainer (and seek a “Fair Trade” brand if you can as well! Because sustainable agriculture is cool y’all)
Additionally, what makes our coffee typically not-so-awesome, is all the crap we dump in our mugs along with it (no judgement, I used to be the same way)
- Artificial sweeteners simply can’t be broken down by the body the way real sugar can, it adds to the chemical load of the body and converts into poison during detoxification
- Tip: switch to Stevia!
- Non-dairy creamers…. Oh boy, don’t get me started…
- Typically made with partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats), corn syrup, canola oil, artificial flavors and colors, etc…basically a storm of unwanted chemicals, yay!
- Might not contain lactose…but it WILL contribute to the body’s inflammatory process, please avoid!
- Flavored creamers – essentially chemical nightmares that smell delightful! I’ll spare you the details, but let’s just say they contribute to overall systemic inflammation…
- Hint: if you don’t know what a chemical is on the package, it’s probably because they don’t want you to know (ps. Dipotassium phosphate is a fertilizer used to prevent clumping…YUM!!)
Okay, my goal is not to scare you away from drinking coffee, I would never. But I can show you a better way…
Introducing, Superfood Coffee! (aka “Bulletproof Coffee” with a twist!)
This coffee can be made two different ways, either using ORGANIC coffee of your choice (preferably fair-trade and shade-grown) or using Four Sigmatic Mushroom coffee (more on mushroom coffee and why it’s awesome below)
The main concept of this coffee is to provide sustainable, long-lasting energy from caffeine, as well as the health benefits from the coffee bean, without any crash or residual negative effects (anxiety, jitters, “caffeine high”).
When we consume traditional coffee with it’s high levels of caffeine and sugar, our blood sugar spikes like a rollercoaster because our liver releases glycogen. Now, the pancreas wants to balance this spike out so it secretes insulin in response to the increased blood sugar. This gives us the “crash”. A crash often brings our blood sugar too low and leaves us craving sugar or another carbohydrate to bump the glycogen level back up. You can see how this is stressful for the poor liver and pancreas, right?
So how do we avoid all of that stress and turn regular coffee into Super coffee?
FAT! – Good, hearty, healthy saturated fats!
I could write a whole post (and probably will) about why fats are NOT the enemy we have been trained to believe they are. We NEED fat in our diet, and generally, the more the merrier if it is the RIGHT fat:
- Ghee – clarified butter, which means that the milk solids and water are boiled out of butter and separated, leaving only the fat content. It is widely used in India, as ghee does not need to be refrigerated!
- MCT Oil = medium-chain triglycerides – a form of saturated fatty acid that has numerous health benefits, ranging from improved cognitive function to better weight management (think: uber concentrated coconut oil)
Ghee and MCT are the backbone of amazing fatty coffee. Their dense nutrients allow the body to absorb the caffeine more slowly and sustainably, avoiding the peaks and valleys of the blood sugar rollercoaster.
Now, if you just started throwing ghee and MCT into your coffee, that would help, but it probably wouldn’t taste awesome. And I want you to LOVE this coffee as much as I do. So here is my own personal recipe [Video instruction below]
- Freshly brewed organic coffee (only fill the cup a little over half full)
- 1 TBS Collagen peptides
- 1 TBS Ghee (I use 4th&Heart from amazon.com)
- 1 TBS MCT Oil
- 3-5 drops Stevia
- ~½ cup Almond Milk (can also use whole fat creamer is lactose is tolerable)
**Combine ingredients in blender and mix for 5 seconds. This is essential to combine MCT oil, which will otherwise float – like oil on water. You’re left with a frothy, deliciously healthy latte!
Okay, and as I promised, here’s a bit about the Mushroom coffee I drink….
What are two things that can ruin a perfect cup of morning coffee? For me, it’s the crazy coffee jitters – everything is going fine and then suddenly I’m clenching my jaw like a maniac – and the impending crash! I know it’s coming in an hour or two to zap all my newly found energy and zest for life. These downfalls led me to give up the stuff completely. The relationship was toxic, I loved it, yet it seemed to hate me and my body.
I missed it though, the smell, the taste, and the warmth as it filled my body with happiness. Nothing could ever quite replace it…
Until I found Mushroom coffee! Yes, it’s real coffee.Yes, it has mushrooms in it. And yes, it is life changing. Utilizing concentrated extract from powerful mushrooms such as Lion’s Mane, Chaga, Cordyceps, Reishi, and more, Four Sigmatic figured out how to take coffee to the next level.
Take for instance, the cordyceps mushroom, it is only found high in the Himalayan Mountains and has been harvested for thousands of years ever since Tibetan herdsmen noticed an increase in stamina and vigor in their Yaks after the animals ate the tiny mushrooms. Mushrooms have been used medicinally in Asia for thousands of years because of their ability to kill bacteria and viruses, but finally we have a way to enjoy their benefits every day in a delicious latte!
Ps. They also make hot chocolate that helps with sleep and non-caffeinated “mushroom elixirs” that you can enjoy at any time of day!